Submitted by Carol Johnson
I re-read last January’s newsletter, in which I was talking about ice storms and power outages, and here I sit on Dec. 17 th, with a blue-sky day of 72 degrees. As they said in Nebraska, give it a minute, and the weather will change… Let’s hope not. Or at least, let’s keep the balmy weather… without the bugs!
Lots on the drawing board for WCAHA, starting with the annual High Point Banquet and Awards evening to be held at Fence in Tryon, NC, on January 27 th. (Full results of winners will be available here next month.) It’s a great time to socialize with other club members, even if you don’t have a horse in the program. Be sure to call to reserve your meal.
And of paramount importance, be sure to look at the lineup of All-Star Stallions who are participating in the club’s Futurity Auction. (Click on the “Futurity/Stallion Auction” link above.) In addition to almost 100% retention of last year’s stallions, there are quite a few new ones, including LD Pistal, El Nabila B, Marhaabah, Adoniis, Star Gazal, and others. The breeding possibilities in the 2007 auction could be perhaps the highest quality to date.
Finally, note the show dates for WCAHA’s Spring show. March 9-11. See below:
1. Renew your WCAHA membership if you haven’t done so already.
- Join USEF if you plan to show.
- Nominate your horse(s) to WCAHA’s High Point program so they, and you, can get the recognition deserved. Only $10 per horse for the whole year, and tons of publicity and fun at the Awards Banquet in January 2008.
- Sign up for a committee and help your club do all that’s required to conduct
its events and run its operations more efficiently. You’ll learn a ton and make many new friends.
5. Thank your outgoing and incoming Officers and Board Members for their
commitment to WCAHA. All those hours are volunteer hours that they’ve spent (or will spend) on club business. (They take thank you’s via email, telephone or letter!)
- Don’t forget the Spring Show March 9-11 in Clemson. The judges are: Cathy Murphy Wright, main ring, and Scott Peterson, Sport Horse. There will be a full complement of sport horse and dressage classes plus main ring classes, as there were at the Fall show.
7. Place your bids NOW on the stallion of your choice in the 7 th Annual
WCAHA Stallion Service Auction. I hope you get the stallion of your choice.
On a sad note, we received the news recently that Betsy Cosgrove’s father passed away after an extended illness. Sincere condolences to the Cosgrove family from their WCAHA family.